United Home Construction recognizes that in fulfilling its mission, the company must act as environmental steward and demonstrate environmental leadership in the homebuilding industry. In recent years, United Home Construction has explored new ways to make its homes compatible with the natural environment, sought opportunities to partner with local government agencies on important environmental initiatives, and looked for innovative ways to make its homes more efficient.
Home Building Guidelines
- Lot Preparation and Design Even before the foundation is poured, careful planning can reduce the home's impact on natural features such as vegetation and soil; and enhance the home's long-term performance. Such preparation can provide significant value to the homeowner, the environment, and the community. Included for the end user, especially developers, is a Site Planning Appendix that closely mirrors this section and provides additional guidance.
- Resource Efficiency Advanced framing techniques and home designs can effectively optimize the use of building materials. This section also details how careful material selection can reduce the amount of time and money needed for home maintenance; and demonstrates equally important construction waste management concepts.
- Energy Efficiency This is the most quantifiable aspect of green building. The information in this section will help a builder create a better building envelope and incorporate more energy efficient mechanical systems, appliances, and lighting into a home, yielding long-term utility bill savings and increased comfort for the homeowner.
- Water Efficiency/Conservation Although, the relative importance of water availability and usage varies from region to region, the concern with adequate supply is becoming more widespread geographically. Experience also shows that employing the line items from this section of the Guidelines for indoor and outdoor water use can reduce utility bills, regardless of location.
- Occupancy Comfort and Indoor Environmental Quality Effective management of moisture, ventilation, and other issues can create a more comfortable and healthier indoor living environment.
- Operation, Maintenance and Education Given the level of effort a home builder goes through to create a well thought out home system, it would be a shame not to give the home owner guidance on how to optimally operate and maintain the house. Line items from this section show a builder how best to educate homeowners on the features of their new green home.